Monday, January 21, 2008

Hey babe, want to go to Fucking today?

What a dirty, dirty town.


Fucking, Austria
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


The frequently stolen traffic sign, at the entrance to the village of Fucking.
Fucking ['fʊkɪŋ]; rhymes with "looking") is an Austrian village in the municipality of Tarsdorf in the Innviertel region of western Upper Austria.

Geography
It is located 32 km north of Salzburg and 4 km east of the border with Germany, half an hour's ride from Petting in Bavaria.

History
The village is known to have existed as "Fucking" since at least 1070 and is named after a man from the 6th century called Focko. "Ing" is an old Germanic suffix indicating the people of the root word to which it is attached, thus "Fucking," in this case, means “(place of )Focko’s people." The village has a population of 93.

Fucking's most famous feature is a traffic sign with its name on it, beside which tourists often stop to have their photograph taken. It is a commonly stolen street sign. Significant amounts of public funds have been spent on replacing the stolen signs.

In 2004, mainly due to the stolen signs, a vote was held on changing the village's name, but the residents voted against doing so. In August 2005 the road signs were replaced with theft-resistant signs welded to steel and secured in concrete to prevent further chances of the sign being stolen.
With only 93 people in that town I wonder what there is to do in town, well besides the obvious. I have to laugh at the fact that people were constantly stealing the street sign. I picture it hanging in some boy's university dorm room all his friends getting a good laugh.

2 comments:

The Honourable Husband said...

I have lived in Munich now for about nine months, but I have yet to get down to Fucking. I shall bypass Petting, since the car navigation has suggested a more direct route.

I will post pictures of my adventures in Fucking, and let you know.

By the way, my little Twisted Donna Reed Accountant, I like your blog.

Neen said...

Thank you so much! I do try.